Update on Refashion Time

I spent Wednesday evening and most of this afternoon working on my refashion project.  As usual, something I thought would be so easy turned out to much harder than I thought it would be!

I had to cut the bodice which was shirred with elastic away from the skirt and lining.  The skirt was gathered where it had been attached. The skirt was lined with a thin gauze type fabric which was not gathered. I used iron on interfacing on the lining top edge to make it stiff and thick enough to sew on.

After I cut everything apart, I had to regather the skirt part and match it to the ungathered lining. I then sewed the lining and skirt together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I decided I didn’t like results so I serged the top edges of the two fabrics together and was very pleased how it turned out. It looked so much neater. I then had to rip out the seam I sewed.  Ripping stitches out of gauze is not fun!

Tomorrow I am going to sew the elastic casing. Perhaps I will be able to wear the skirt when we go out tomorrow night. Oh dear — I don’t have a top to go with it. I will have to add another thing to my list of things to sew.

Refashion time

I bought a sundress two years ago. I have never liked it. I always thought it made me look fatter than I am. I decided to take the sundress apart and try to create a new skirt from it.

Sundress Makeover

I spent most of the afternoon picking it apart and threading my serger. It is ready to for me to try and sew it together. The lining is a very, very, lightweight gauze type of fabric. I hope it works out! Watch my blog to see how I do!

The Story of Sewing My Pants

It’s been a LONG time since I posted. We cleaned the screens on the air conditioner this morning and I need a rest before I go for a bicycle ride.  What better than to do with my rest time than finally post!

I’ve been working on a pants Burda pattern 6982 since June.  I’ve been struggling with these pants because I have/had so many new things to learn.

I learned how to insert a fly zipper.  I watched several tutorials on YouTube over and over again.  I diligently followed the demonstrators instructions.  I must have put the zipper in 5 times and ripped it out. I just didn’t like the results.  I finally went back and followed the pattern instructions and that worked out very well for me.  Just don’t look in the inside of the pants! Unfortunately due to all the ripping I managed to ruin the fabric at the lower fly part of the fly.  The “fix” I made doesn’t show too badly.

I also learned out to construct slant pockets.  Burda pattern instructions are not the greatest and I did have some trouble with these.  In the end they turned out okay.  Just don’t look in the inside of the pants!

The pants have a pleated waistband.  I sewed it on and ripped it off too many times to count. I finally called my friend who sews and asked her to come over and help me.  Apparently, I was doing it correctly but ripped it out thinkingI had done it wrong.  hithead   She set me straight and I have to rip it out one more time and sew it back on.  Too bad I didn’t trust myself the first time I did it!

I feel fortunate that before I sewed these pants I decided they would be a trial pair. I was hoping I “might” be able to wear them outside the house. They aren’t finished yet, so who knows. I have the waistband and hemming left.  My friend told me to put the pants aside and work on other things for a while.  So that is what I am doing! Frustration does take its toll!

My friend also told me to quit picking these hard patterns. The trouble is that I seem to gravitate toward that type of pattern.  Anyway, we agreed that I should make some really easy things to get my sewing confidence and mojo back.  She said to pick out a very simple pants pattern and make those. She said she would more than happy to help me.  How can I have such a great friend. I am so lucky!

So before I get back to pants struggle I plan on doing the following:

Reconstruct a sundress I have into a skirt. I have never liked how the dress looked on me so I don’t have anything to lose.

→ Design and sew machine covers for my sewing and serger machines.  I have the fabric I will use in my stash.  I picked out some really nice embroidery designs to put on the covers. This project, hopefully, will teach me how to use the embroidery features on the sewing machine.

→ Make baby bibs for my grandson.  I did buy some really cute fabric.  My friend suggested that I make a sample first  because I picked out a complicated pattern. How can a bib pattern be complicated . . .of course, it is because I picked it out!

→ Make some cute overalls and shirts for my grandson.  Can you believe it?  Those patterns are very simple!

 Make some knit clothing for me.  Knits are supposed to be easy, but I will have to learn how to alter, cut, and sew knits.

I finally organized my entire sewing room. I took inventory of all the fabric I have so I will know what I have when I want to make  things.  Most of fabric I have is from the two estate sales I went to.  I sold some of the fabrics for what I paid for the ALL the fabric at the estate sales.   I guess you could say I have been “reimbursed” and I still have yards and yards of fabric!   yay

I do have a lot of fabric that I purchased at fabric stores, too.  Some it is from 30 years ago when I sewed for my kids! I am going to try to use what fabric I have on hand before I buy anymore.  That’s what sewists called fabric fasting!